Friday, October 15, 2010

Open letter to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

President Ahmadinejad,

Grace and peace to you in the Name of the One True God. I pray that all is well with you and those you love. I pray that you are faithfully seeking truth and justice for all people. I pray that you will be able to help the people of Iran and all the Middle East improve their quality of life.

My name is Chuck Woehler (pronounced Wayler) and I am an Episcopal Priest in San Antonio, Texas. I listened to your speech at the United Nations onSeptember 23rd of this year. It caused me to go back and read some of the other speeches youmade there in previous years. I have thought and prayed long and hard about responding to you. The easy way out would be to do nothing, but that would be unfaithful to my Lord. I truly believed I have been called to write to you. I do not know if you will receive this letter; and if you receive it, whether you will read it; and if you read it, whether you will respond. I am also going to post this letter on a blog and/or send it to a newsparper. I trust that whatever becomes of it it God's will.

You have said that there are two conflicting outlooks in the world. One is based on materialism, inequality, and oppression. This outlook promotes poverty by imposing its will on other nations. The other is based on the oneness of God, the teachings of His messenger, respect for human dignity, and a secure world for everyone. Apparently, the former isthe western nations, especially the United States; and the latter is the Islamic nations, especially Iran. With the questionable exception of the oneness of God, these two outlooks could apply to the opposite group of nations, depending on your viewpoint. Neither group is truly blameless, holy, or right.

No comments:

Post a Comment